unannounced gig last night?!

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

ScS
From the Gecko

unannounced gig last night?!

2/11/05: Matt Murphy's Pub - Brookline MA

Set 1: Jam #1, Jam #2, Wolof, The Shouters, Goes Around Comes Around, Jam #3

Set 2: Cowboy Up, Jam #4, Lonely Boy, You'll Find a Home#, Even Rats, "Bouba's Jam"*^, 12/8 Blues^

Notes: Timo Shanko on Tenor all night
Goes Around Comes Around is a Timo Shanko composition
# with Grayson Farmer on trumpet
* with Boubacar Diabate on vocals, Peter Barr on djembe
^ with Steve Fell on guitar

Unannounced warm up gig for the Japan run with Timo.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Yeah this was very fun. Smallest venue I've seen the guys in. Well beside a couple radio station gigs I guess. I got the heads up less than a day in advance. AFTER the posts I made on the graffitti page, please don't hate me. :roll: This was basically a way for them to warm up a little with Timo on tenor before Japan. Matt Murphy's is packed already without even having music. This was as tight as ever untill maybe mid set two. I hope some photo's get posted. I only have a phone camera and don't even have the cable yet to put them on a computer. If you've never been to this Pub you wouldn't know that the only bathroom is in the back of the kitchen. So you have to walk through the band adn between Timo and Brad to get back and forth. Pretty funny. So your basically standing "onstage" with the guys as they jam out. There were a few long time fans there rocking out!! Lots of full improv tunes which is always a nice change!! It was hilarious to overhear people saying things like, "these guys are good, they should play some other venues" and things like that. Lots of"have you seen these guys before"? "Who are these guys"? Reminded me of a time I was sitting in city hall park Burlington with a 2-3 other people and Mike Gordon who was playing music for us. It was 3-4am and some local guy walks up and sit down and starts talking while he is playing and between songs. "Your really good, do you play in clubs around here"? ETC... I finally was like "You ever heard of Phish"? "He is in the band, so sit back and enjoy man"! Pretty funny stuff. I've seen BAM in small rooms plenty but also at The Tweeter Center so it is like 2 polar opposites! Really good, unlike my writing style.
ScS
From the Gecko

and i'll bite with the customary question.

is there a tape?

i'll be patient, just curious if anyone was in attendance.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I didn't see anyone running tape but maybe in the back of the room. I wasn't back there very much. Let's keep our fingers crossed...

Gotcha!!! 8)

http://sliplive.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=342 :twisted: [/quote]
Last edited by Cleantone on Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maura
Mudslide

awesome, thanks for the news guys. I'm so happy to hear about BAM playing with other people and instruments, different locations, woohoo. Only good can come of it. I'm so excited to hear what they're doing now musically, and their next album n stuff....what a wonderful world.
tasoula
Yaki Soba

It certainly was a treat to see the Slip (and Timo!) play at Matt Murphy's.. It was great to see a bunch of old friends and familiar faces. It's been a while since I've heard so much improv from BAM in one set; a couple of the jams quoted some standards a couple times, and I'm pretty sure I heard Timo throw in a Coltrane lick or two..

Like Clinton said, it was hilarious hearing people say things like 'so have you ever heard these guys before?' etc. I for one have not had so much fun seeing the Slip play in.... a really long time. Several friends also commented to me that they hadn't heard the guys sound so tight in two or three years. It was really a blast. Timo is fantastic as well; I'm usually at Murphy's on Thursday nights so I see him play pretty regularly.

I also have to say that the jam with Bouba & Pete Barr was sweeeeet! Like a fool I didn't bring my camera out with me (although it's never been easy to take photos there) and Clinton and I had the best spot in the house too! Oh well.. I'll just have to hold on to whatever memories weren't drowned by the Old Speckled Hens.........