Slip/SMMD/Barr Brothers @ HSMF 2015

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Re: Slip/SMMD/Barr Brothers @ HSMF 2015

The Slip
July 5, 2015
Big Meadow Stage (6:15-7:30)
High Sierra Music Festival
Quincy, CA

The Soft Machine
Get Me With Fuji
Reverse Blues (fka Catch A Villain)
Yellow Medicine
Paper Birds
Motherwolf
Come Back Baby (Ray Charles)
Weight of Solomon
Children of December
bear
From the Gecko

thanks for the set list updates guys, any recordings floating around yet? Any late-night Harry sets like the good ole days?
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

So I spent about $1500 and traveled 2700+ miles to attend. I sacrificed a lot of social fun to make recordings. I got almost no sleep and will be recovering for a few more days it seems. I managed to bring a small amount of gear as carry on but was lacking a lot of my normal equipment. I've already spent half a day just managing the 500GB of recordings I made but have not really done any post production yet. I recorded with permission from the festival and the artists. Not only do I need to take the 40+ hours to do post production but I also need to work through the festival and artists. Other people recorded and there will probably be tapes popping up soon. This fest is a marathon. Some tapers were covering multiple stages. Unfortunately I already know that The Slip is hesitant to let out any media from that set as of now. It will need to be reviewed and approved. I'm not really sure if anyone else recorded it. If they did and it circulates it would be without permission and approval of the band. I can say also that the band was VERY stoked on the Mr. Davis set. As was everyone else. It was probably my highlight of the festival. I think my biggest regret was not getting radio bumpers from everyone while I was right there. I haven't done my podcast in a year for various reasons but HSMF 2015 could be a sweet episode. I totally get it but I also have to say that the many dozens of people asking me for recordings after this is kind of stressful. I'm already back to working overtime at my day job and there is a massive amount of work involved. All time out of my pocket and whatnot. I don't have spare time. I have a million things I can and should be doing with the few hours I have here and there. I wish I had a benefactor and I could just work on hobby projects all day. So if you know of one let me know.
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

What is the approval process like with the band?

I'm obviously stoked to listen, but you've got a lot on your plate. Just grateful you took the time and made the sacrifice to get the recordings.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

@Tone

It's insane that anyone would expect you to turn around recordings within a day or two of a marathon festival. Don't even fully understand how you've done it in the past...

Take your time, do your thing. Totally get if you can't even release any of it (Slip/SMMD/BBs).

Hopefully BAM let's the recording into the public - I'm sure they can appreciate that there's a slew of die-hard fans that have been patiently waiting to hear any music come from The Slip. Given how infrequently they play, I can totally appreciate that it may not have been their best set, and may not want folks to hear it.

We'll continue to wait patiently, and hopefully we can hear some of the magic. If not, each of us will have to wait to hopefully catch The Slip live in the future - whenever that might be.
Twitter: @lucsamuels
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

Cleantone, you're a soldier!

Just want to say, I LOVE your idea about a HSMF podcast!
Hear Here
bear
From the Gecko

No worries at all tone, I know you do multi-track recordings that require a ton of post-production and take great pride in your work. Im sorry if I came off as ungrateful or demanding. Harry's post mentioned he has to "listen to the recording" to get the set list right and I thought that meant he recorded. I was just curious if there was an AUD floating around (single file is fine in these days with ipods and whatnot) or if they made the FM broadcast and perhaps someone ripped that.

My favorite band on the planet just played their first show in years so seeing the setlist and knowing that tapers were there got me excited to hear it. No rush, no worries, we all appreciate your skill and investment in capturing so many great performances over the years. I've been to HSMF 3 times and know what a doozy it is...
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I actually didn't record The Slip for the first time since 2006 at High Sierra, with a 1 year old in tow and Cleantone having it well covered I didn't try to pull anything off. In retrospect I probably should have just run some audience mics just to have another source unencumbered by band permission, but I forgot to bring the windscreens for my AKG's so I'd only have the Rode NT4 which sounds kind of crappy in that context.

Audience or FM tapes from High Sierra are generally fair game regardless of the band's approval, though I have seen a couple of bands over the years where they specifically asked people not to record before the show. If I can find another source I'll let you guys know.

I though the Slip set was pretty solid considering how long it had been and I'm guessing there was little to no rehearsal. There were a few warts, Yellow Medicine was a little shaky and Brad messed up some lyrics to Paper Birds, but as we all well known the guys can be very critical of themselves so to them it might have seemed disasterous. Personally I had a blast and it was better than I had hoped... it was so good to hear them all onstage together again and I thought 95% of the set was on fire...
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Also re: Camp Harry sets I heard Marc over there once with Torph, Big Light had a mini-reunion (minus Swordfish who was recovering from being roughed up by security at the Dead show), and a couple of the JRAD guys were jamming Sunday night but AFAIK there were no Slip or Davis sets. Nathan was holding down the pickin' porch every night and I saw Brad there on Sunday, which I did record with my little hand-held Tascam. I think that probably sounds pretty bad and I have no idea when I'd have the chance to do anything with that, though I did give it to TideMikey who may polish it up.
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Harry, did the band say anything about continuing to play together or working on songs? Didnt sometime ago the Slip said they were working on a new album?
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Kevin_Kjr wrote:Harry, did the band say anything about continuing to play together or working on songs? Didnt sometime ago the Slip said they were working on a new album?
Yes, Brad made some vague comments before Catch A Villain, which I guess is now called Reverse Blues, that it was one they had recorded for what "feels like an album" that they had been working on for the last few years. Even though they may have been critical of the set, it seemed like they were having a blast for the most part and it definitely didn't feel like the Slip was dead for good. However I'm not holding my breath, especially as the Barr Brothers are becoming more and more successful.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

To be clear I wasn't reacting to anyone in particular. Just venting a little while also giving you all the scoop. After forty or so queries from various avenues it begins to feel like Chinese water torture. If that makes sense. I'd be right there asking too of course! I'm probably just getting old but after 20 years of recording live music it can unfortunately feel like a burden and a sacrifice. I should shut up. I'm still exhausted. I just got home from work and am about to go to bed at 7pm. I hope to have a little energy for mixing this weekend. Of course I have many other projects to work on too.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

ScS
From the Gecko

Cleantone wrote:To be clear I wasn't reacting to anyone in particular. Just venting a little while also giving you all the scoop. After forty or so queries from various avenues it begins to feel like Chinese water torture. If that makes sense. I'd be right there asking too of course! I'm probably just getting old but after 20 years of recording live music it can unfortunately feel like a burden and a sacrifice. I should shut up. I'm still exhausted. I just got home from work and am about to go to bed at 7pm. I hope to have a little energy for mixing this weekend. Of course I have many other projects to work on too.

You're the man, 'Tone! I know the feeling of working too hard at the day job with no time/energy for the "2nd job"/hobbies. Hopefully BAM approve recordings to be released. If we have to wait, we have to wait.

Thanks!
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Did anyone post up a setlist from the SMMD set yet? I haven't seen one.