Montreal Slip Question

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Rob Turner
Cumulus

Montreal Slip Question

Does anyone have the date, venue and/or setlist for the Montreal Slip show that they performed after being stopped at the border? They apparently weren't allowed to drive their van into the country and ended up playing the gig with rented equipment.
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

Re: Montreal Slip Question

A storied show indeed! My first international Slip show. It was 11/23/2002 at Le Swimming (no longer open I believe) Montreal, QUE (CAN).

Here are some show notes:

Set I: Munf, Driving Backwards with You, Johnny's Tune, Else%, Aptos, You Might Say, Rhythm-a-ning

Set II: Cool #9(?), Jumby> Get Me with Fuji, Pass It On#, In Your Dreams> Planet of Inexperience> In Your Dreams, Wolof, Mr. Meowskers, Yellow Medicine, ?

Encore: Just a Closer Walk with Thee^

Notes: Kosta: hkharlan at yahoo.com # Bob Marley cover from "Burnin'" ^ funky chicken tease % Built to Spill cover song.

These notes may have a few small discrepancies but overall they look good. I will have to listen to my copy of the show to confirm.

Indeed, the Slip weren't permitted beyond the border because they didn't have some kind of permit or license (not sure exactly what) that was needed to perform in the country (though they still performed, just without any of their own gear). As I recall they turned around and drove back to Burlington where they stashed all of their gear with friends. Once in Montreal, they rented/borrowed gear. They played a great show. Andrew's drums sounded terrible, I'll never forget it. Flat. Not his fault. He played the shit out of them regardless. Brad played a red Tele with rosewood fingerboard. I wish I could remember what bass Marc played that night...There may still be some pics around somewhere, I'll look into it.
Hear Here
bradm
Beantown Rocker

Rob Turner
Cumulus

Thank you Joe for those great notes and Brad for the link.

The "Rhythm-a-Ning" is delightfully aggressive and i believe the song after "Yellow Medicine" is "Girl From Ipanema."
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

The track between Yellow Medicine and Just A Closer Walk With Thee, so track 3 of disc 3 (which probably shouldn't have been separated from the Yellow Med track IMHO), has a Dogs On Bikes jam combined with a stop-start sequence, then goes into something else...*sounds* recognizable but I can't place it. May even be made up on the spot? Brad does a little bit of Chuck Berry-style comping. But I didn't hear Girl From Ipanema anywhere, though I could have missed it.

Damn, I forgot how great this show was/is! A Slip classic of the highest caliber. I love hearing Brad on the Fender single coils. A rare treat, until he began playing Marc's blackie strat more and more regularly during the mid-2000s.
Hear Here
Rob Turner
Cumulus

Turns out it is actually during the beginning of Closer Walk where they riff something else which I thought was Ipanema.