This date in Slipstory.....

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

etahn
From the Gecko

1999-05-02

BAM plays in what's basically a dorm lounge at Oberlin College. There's a couple of drunk girls making drunk college girl conversation right under the mics for a while, but this is one of those shows. Brad even gives a description of Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly. Did I mention they play Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly?
The world really is magic
etahn
From the Gecko

2002-12-30 - Paradise Rock Club - Boston, MA

I was actually living in PA at the time, but Ella's mom and I were visiting friends in NH, back where we met, over the holidays. I snuck off down to Beantown to catch what would turn out to be an amazing show.

It was cold as hell. I had rolled down with nothing but a credit card to get me into the show, and immediately upon arrival I learned that the Paradise didn't take plastic (they do now). Completely distraught, no idea how I was going to make it into the show, I turned around and started back for the door, where I ran into Sam Leonard making his way inside. I explained my troubles, and Sammy (dear Sammy) dropped some small amount of cash on me sos I could at least enjoy the show before my drive back to New Hampshire.

And a good thing, too. I had just bought myself a minidisc recorder (you still got that thing, Bear?) and I was super eager to test it out on the boys. Making my way onto the floor, I scoped out a pair of mics with this funny foam disc in between them. I introduced myself the the guy who was attached to them (his name was Clinton), and got a patch into my deck before checking out the rest of the scene. I ran into Mike (Dickhead) upstairs where he and some friends were making posters begging people not to smoke butts in the venue, cause butts in the venue make everyone smell gross.

I'm sure I made it back to the floor before the band took the stage with the surprise of the year - The Howling Monkey Horns. Rumor said that Brad had been up until the wee hours the night before writing arrangement. Brad himself commented after one number, "This is our first time ever playing with a horn section.....and it feels great."

I won't bore you with details of the setlist, except to say that excitement set in somewhere around the time the horns hit the first notes of Landing, rapture showed its beautiful head when the busted out You Might Say (still the best I've heard)(that "woohoohoohoohoooo" in the beginning is me invading Cleantone's mics from below), and ecstasy followed somewhere around the middle of Sweet Thing. I had never heard the song, but I had met the Rhodes Miller to whom Brad dedicated it, and I still think they played it the way Van would have liked to hear it, had he been there.

There are, of course, other highlights (like Ashland)(the intro made it onto ALIVELECTRIC), the long-lost Lindy favorite Tenfold, and staples like Dear Melina and Nellie Jean. The room is still a little bass-heavy, but the tapes are WELL worth a listen. One of my all-time favorite shows. ALL-TIME.
The world really is magic
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Man Ethan. Your bumming me out. Tonight I will likely be working into hour 10-12. Tomorrow I will probably be doing the same. Really wish the Middle East was happening.

Good memory you got there! I wish I could recall specific that well.
bear
From the Gecko

funny thing ethan, im looking thru minidiscs to see if i have something to record over for tomorrow white thighs nye throwdown. and i pop in 12.30.02 so yes, i still have the minidisc and those tapes. i wont record over them.

so, this date in slipstory....12.30.98 - wetlands preserve, ny

ten years ago i was 18, a freshman in college and home on xmas break. I had scored a ticket to Phish nye (but not the 30th) at msg thru mail order. with nothing to do really, my buddy casey and i decided to head into the city a night early. The boys were playing at the wetlands with percy hill and the discobiscuits (2 bands i liked a lot at the time.) we cross the lincoln tunnel (we were staying with caseys roomates folks in jers) and somehow found the dank club nestled in the heart of tribeca, (right?). I remember parking under a shady underpass and we got out like, hmmm is this right? as we saw a volvo station wagon parked across the street, with the license plate "SLIP" we knew we were in the right place.

The show was at the wetlands, a now defunct venue that im sure many of you have been to. anywho, i dont really remember the setlist but i remember a packed down stairs room the was all for the slip. they played 2 sets and blew my mind. everytime i went upstairs to try and diversify my musical evening after about 30 seconds i was like, fuck this, this slip are playing downstairs now - why would i need to be anywhere else? I remember smoking weed (which at that point was still a big deal) and sitting in one of the booths/tables? that are along the walls of the room. just closed my eyes and listened with the biggest grin on my face
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Great story!!!

Hey you all if you have any good Slip minidisc recordings I'd be happy to transfer them for you...
bradm
Beantown Rocker

harrymcq wrote:Hey you all if you have any good Slip minidisc recordings I'd be happy to transfer them for you...
I'd be glad to help with that, too.

Aloha,
Brad
AsianGirl
Even Rats

Re: This date in Slipstory.....

Setlist:
10/24/1997: Met Cafe: Providence, RI
Set I: Phase One > Yellow Medicine, Cumulus > Kid Nikki > Clap Groove > Pictures Of Callisto, Munf > ? > Munf, Solomon, 54-46 Was My Number, Evil Jam > Dedication To Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Antiquity, Autobody Experience > Zion, E Jam

Wow has it really been 16 years?!

The Met Cafe show is a particularly memorable one as this was one of my first 5 Slip shows. I had went to see them on 9/20/97 at the House of Blues in Cambridge and was able to catch one or two others before this one in Providence, hometown to the Barr Bros.

Even though The Slip were already scheduled to play the following week at our school's Halloween Party, I was itching to catch one more show before then, and the Met was calling my name.

I convinced my buddy Joe to come along, and we took the Train from Boston to Providence. It was chilly and a good walk from the Train Station down to downtown Providence, back with the Met Cafe was still in Providence.

We got there pretty early and the band was just settling in. We said our "Hi"s and chilled in one of the tables. Once the show got going the tables were moved aside to make some dancing space, as the Met was not a huge venue. It was a long-ish with the entrance on the same side as the stage, if I remember correctly.

They played my favorite tune, Cumulus, which I really wanted to hear ^_^ The next tune, Kid Nikki, always playful and fun, brought another big smile to my face and great dance moves to the floor.

The room got pretty packed when it was time for us to leave, in order to catch the last train home before the MBTA stopped running. I think we left during the Dedication to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, even though we didnt want to.

This was the only Slip show that I left in the middle of them still playing, and to this day, it still hurts a bit to know I missed some awesome music. But we trekked up the hill and caught the train back to Boston, still beaming with energy and excitement. Especially cause we knew in 1 week, we wouldnt have to trek anywhere, just down into the basement of our dorm, and the Miracle Slip show was gonna go down.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Ok, thanks for reviving this topic, AsianGirl! I've never heard anything about that show (or heard a recording either...) sounds like a blast!

Here's one, 10 years ago today, The Slip played the Higher Ground in Burlington. I wasn't at this one, I was living in California and actually didn't see a lot of Slip that year. This has long been one of my favorite recordings of the era though and has gotten a lot of play. A Cleantone recording but using the house Neumann's mounted on the ceiling.

They open up with the little jam they were doing into The Soft Machine in this era. The show also has an awesome Something Learned (Chrysanthemum) which is one of my favorite semi-forgotten tunes. The show has a nice mix of earlier tunes, (Yo Yo Ma, Rhythm and Gold, Fuji, Honey Melon) as well the newer material that was spearheading their more rock oriented sound. I know a lot of people were freaking out at their new direction but I have a great love for it all!

Here is a torrent: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=567756 and mp3: mp3/slip2003-10-25.zip
10/25/2003: The Higher Ground: Winooski, VT
Set I: funk intro* > Soft Machine, Yo Yo Ma Little Brown-Eyed Babushka, Something Learned, Sorry> In Life You Were an Ocean (In Death You Are the Rain) > Rhythm and Gold
Set II: Get Me with Fuji > Headshot^ > Children of December, Ambrosia Drunk+, Ode to Joy (on PVC pipes) > Happy Snails, Honey Melon> Planet of Inexperience> Honey Melon
Encore: Poor Boy
Notes: * same intro as the montreal show. ^ featured a new slower ending. + this song was dedicated to Elliot Smith. [ Betty - furbally1 at aol.com - 10/26/2003 ]
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

5/9/2002 Pearl Street Ballroom, Northampton.

Awesome show. If anyone has it, please post it! Mp3 is fine.

05/09/2002: Pearl Street Ballroom: Northampton, MA
Set I: Through the Iron Gates, The Lucky Dragon, Tinderbox, Johnny's Tune, Sometimes True to Nothing
Set II: Dear Melina, Tenfold, Witch in the Kitchen, The Woods, Get Me with Fuji*
Encore: Sorry, If One of Us Should Fall
Notes: * with Topaz on Tenor Sax
Hear Here
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

6/24/2009 Iron Horse Music Hall. Northampton, MA.

My last time seeing the Slip perform live :( 7 years ago tonight. It was a pretty good show. It was dominated by then-newer material, but they played a Fuji that I still enjoy listening back to. The show also featured a version of England (years before becoming part of the Barr Brothers repertoire and appearing on Sleeping Operator.) Brad already had his green Guild Starfire-V and played it on most if not all electric tunes that night.

The Slip
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Iron Horse, Northampton, MA

Source: Superlux CM-H8K/Cs (90* 15cm, balcony) > Edirol UA-5 (DIY digi-mod,44.1kHz) > optical > Creative Nomad JB3 (WAV)
Transfer: Creative Nomad JB3 > SB1394 > Creative Soundblaster Audigy > CDWav > FLAC Frontend

d1t01 Intro >
d1t02 Untitled (D' Gary)
d1t03 Children of December
d1t04 Get Me With Fuji
d1t05 Untitled (Take The Bus)
d1t06 Airplane/Primitive
d1t07 Vesuvius Fountains >
d1t08 Portrait of a Scientist as a Young Man
d2t01 Motherwolf
d2t02 Wolof
d2t03 If One Of Us Should Fall
d2t04 call for encore
d2t05 The Soft Machine
d2t06 Untitled (England)

Notes:
1. Special thanks to Cleantone for the set list, and the advice and
help with recording at Iron Horse.
2. The mics were clamped to the lower railing of balcony, about
1/3 of the way across the floor from the left-hand wall.

Taped and transferred by BradM (bradmcmail@yahoo.ca).
Hear Here
bradm
Beantown Rocker

Joe Higley wrote:6/24/2009 Iron Horse Music Hall. Northampton, MA.

My last time seeing the Slip perform live :( 7 years ago tonight. It was a pretty good show. It was dominated by then-newer material, but they played a Fuji that I still enjoy listening back to. The show also featured a version of England (years before becoming part of the Barr Brothers repertoire and appearing on Sleeping Operator.) Brad already had his green Guild Starfire-V and played it on most if not all electric tunes that night.

The Slip
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Iron Horse, Northampton, MA

Source: Superlux CM-H8K/Cs (90* 15cm, balcony) > Edirol UA-5 (DIY digi-mod,44.1kHz) > optical > Creative Nomad JB3 (WAV)
Transfer: Creative Nomad JB3 > SB1394 > Creative Soundblaster Audigy > CDWav > FLAC Frontend

d1t01 Intro >
d1t02 Untitled (D' Gary)
d1t03 Children of December
d1t04 Get Me With Fuji
d1t05 Untitled (Take The Bus)
d1t06 Airplane/Primitive
d1t07 Vesuvius Fountains >
d1t08 Portrait of a Scientist as a Young Man
d2t01 Motherwolf
d2t02 Wolof
d2t03 If One Of Us Should Fall
d2t04 call for encore
d2t05 The Soft Machine
d2t06 Untitled (England)

Notes:
1. Special thanks to Cleantone for the set list, and the advice and
help with recording at Iron Horse.
2. The mics were clamped to the lower railing of balcony, about
1/3 of the way across the floor from the left-hand wall.

Taped and transferred by BradM (bradmcmail@yahoo.ca).
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=526369

I also think that "Untitled (D'Gary)" became "Give The Devil Back His Heart."

Aloha,
Brad
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

Wasn't able to attend this one but many friends were there.

07/17/2003: Rocks Off Boat Cruise: New York, NY
Set I: Sea Legs*, Brooklyn$, Soft Machine^, Spice Groove, Proud Mary#, Mudslide, If One of Us Should Fall&, Children of December#, Drifting+, Rhythm and Gold, Simmer Down instr>Happy Snails Jam> Sorry+
Notes: * According to SlipBase, last played 2/7/99 !!!! Great old Slip tune...fitting song to start the boat. $ Steely Dan cover. ^ Correct name for Slide tune aka "If". # Creedence Clearwater Revival cover (instrumental, with crowd sing-along). + Herbie Hancock cover. & Dedicated to NYC. # Correct name for "The Zeroes". + Before Sorry, there was a jam, which included Simmer Down, Happy Snails, and In Life You Were An Ocean (In Death You Are the Rain)!!! [ Jonny Bahr - jonnybahr at hotmail.com - Friday, July 18, 2003; Cleantone - Fri Jul 18 ]
Hear Here