The Slip - 12/31/04

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

MATT
Get Me with Fuji

The Slip - 12/31/04

Well, figured since no one has started over here on this forum, I'd lend a hand. Here's the first of many installments

I must say, I didn't know what to think at first, I was just shocked and pleased. This concept is something more bands should do but few bands are as kind as The Slip. Phase One>Cumulus>Gecko>Zion had me in a dizzy, and then they finish the set with a 20 minute Honeymelon (as I remember it, Cleantone will be more accurate) and then a Yellow Medicine! I've only seen them play those tunes a handfull of times. The intensity and almost evil nature of the feedback/space that would serve as an intro. to Hey Worrier was a wonderful juxtaposition to the happy feel of Hey Worrier. One of my major hopes for the evening was an Auld Lang Syne at Midnight (a la Phish) but alas, I was pleasently suprised with a pretty cool countdown jam into an INTENSE Children of December, might I ad unique, with improv. lyrics, the rosie segment and the entertainer outro, intro AN INSANE set closing Johnny's Tune > Else> Blue Moon> Else. I was a little suprised when the era of Angels Come On Time was closed over, but the More About Me with Sarah was a nice treat. I might also ad that one of my favorite Slip Covers served as a beautiful encore, with one of my HUGE hopes being fulfilled in the middle of it (Auld Lang Syne). The IFOOUSF was beautiful as well, serving as a fit ending to a beautiful and magical evening. I also wanted to point out that the familial atmosphere made my heart feel warm and remember why this band means as much to me as it does. Thank you to all in attendence and of course, the band and crew for putting in a huge effort once again.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Well, since you mentioned song times....
1. Even Rats (cut) 3:12
2. "Franklin Horatio Marshalls III" 3:34
3. Autobody Experience> 8:05
4. Cumulus 4:44
5. From the Gecko> 10:55
6. Zion 9:01
7. "Franklin Horatio Marshalls III" 2:08
8. Honeymelon 18:37
9. Yellow Medicine 19:10

disk two:

1. "Franklin Horatio Marshalls III" 2:27
2. "Space"> 3:01
3. Hey Worrier 5:41
4. You Might Say 8:09
5. "New Years" 3:11
6. December's Children> 10:39
7. Entertainer jam 2:45
8. Johnny's Tune 14:55
9. Else^ 11:13 Built to Spill

disk three:

1. Paper Birds 16:58
2. Even Rats 9:20
3. More About Me* 6:16
4. Proud 10:26
5. "banter" 6:24
6. Joe Higley 7:27

disk four:

1. Suffocation Keep 6:48
2. "encore" 5:21
3. WSFAPL+U 5:11 Elvis Costello
4. If On of use Should Fall 9:32
5. "post show" 5:12

^with Blue Moon jam
*with Sara Azriel on vocals
Katie
Invocation

It's amazing to think about how long those tunes in the first set were, I was so into it I didn't even notice. I guess that answers the question 'Do the Slip still jam?'

Just a minor note on the setlist... Do some of the newer tunes they've been playing lately have definite titles yet? I picked up the Paradise live recording for my roommate from Newbury Comics and it has listed "A Little More Jill" instead of "Even Rats" and "Paper Birds (My Lanlord)". I guess they'll probably just be known as both for a while...
Phrazz

http://www.phrazz.com/slipbase/slipsongs.txt

Even Rats is maybe changing to "A Little More Jill", but word out is that people like the former title better. :) Paper Birds is the official title for the song F.K.A. "My Landlord". I tried to add some of the alternates on the list (see link)...this might take a bit more work and some titles are still in the works.

Thanks for the setlist and song details (the show reviews are nice, too). Did anyone get some photos (I would hope, being such an auspicious time!). I got some good ones from Lupo's/Diesel and Southpaw...should have them reworked in another day or so.

My spy camera worked pretty good at MSG and I even got some passable shots with that tiny lens. Not like the other camera, but this one fits in my shirt pocket.

Happy New Year and all that jazz. Anyone heading down to the Knit?

-Peace out,

Phrazz
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

?

so was even rats cut or interupted on purpose the first time? also, not sure, but is 'Franklin Horatio Marshalls III' = mr. meoskers? what did he have to say? any thoughts or comments on this guy?
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I heard Brad announced the tune as Even Rats on Sirius. I was gonna write Even Rats anyway. Much better title IMO. Anyone disagree? :twisted:
so was even rats cut or interupted on purpose the first time? also, not sure, but is 'Franklin Horatio Marshalls III' = mr. meoskers? what did he have to say? any thoughts or comments on this guy?
It's too hard to give justice. Basically Matt Rudnicki hamming it up dressed in a old style white suite and acting as a old southern gent. You'll heve to wait till you can hear it for yourself. Don't ask when that'll be though of course. :D
torph
Alsoa

I still feel somewhat responsible for the whole "Little More Jill" thing. It happened on the road. I was posting setlists from Portland to NYC and JB had told me that B.Barr had wrtten it in as "LMJ" for the Nemo track list. So we thought, "I guess we should go by that.." But when its called out onstage they still refer to it as "Even Rats", which is indeed a much better title.

This whole thing reminds me of a simillar situation the emerged around Honey Mellon, when it first became a popular number. the band HATED that title at first. they thought it was cheesey, but they couldn't shake it. I remember Brad saying that he wanted to re-name it 'Constantine" because he played this little organ/accordian on the Gecko version that was called a constantine. But it stuck anyway.

Still soaking in New Years...

ps. Tim- it was good to meet you. Its always interesting when you meet someone form the board for the 1st time. See you down the road.
Jason Booth
Yaki Soba

torph wrote:
This whole thing reminds me of a simillar situation the emerged around Honey Mellon, when it first became a popular number. the band HATED that title at first. they thought it was cheesey, but they couldn't shake it. I remember Brad saying that he wanted to re-name it 'Constantine" because he played this little organ/accordian on the Gecko version that was called a constantine. But it stuck anyway.

Still soaking in New Years...
Thats not the first time, and not the last. Remember "The Clap"? They tried several names for that one. Then there was Antiquity, more commonly known as "Back Door Roast Beef". Antiquity was a much better title for such a beutiful song, but something about such a pretty song having such an ugly name was kind of appealing.
Jason Booth
jbooth.blogspot.com

The ftp server is currently down - I'll get it online again one of these days ;)
phraaazzz

song titles

Thanks for these bits of song history. Somehow we should collect them all and make a "song history reference" for all these questions like Dec's Kids vs zeroes and all that. Too bad we can't search Graffilthi or else it would be easier. There's quite a bit we can pull out of SlipBase...some old emails and such.

BTW, Jason...what's that Avatar? That you? Who did that? Good sketch work...looks like charcoal or something.

-Phrazz
etahn
From the Gecko

Re: song titles

phraaazzz wrote:
BTW, Jason...what's that Avatar? That you? Who did that? Good sketch work...looks like charcoal or something.

-Phrazz
It's either Booth or Monty Burns with a wig.
The world really is magic
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Phrazz,

you can use the internet archive to dig back pretty deep onto theslip.com...