ryan adams 6/7 meyerhoff concert hall

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tim
The Weight of Solomon

ryan adams 6/7 meyerhoff concert hall

last night was my first time seeing ryan adams and let me tell you- that's one concert i'll never forget. i've heard all about his being the bad boy of rock and the unpredictibility of his live show bt i never thought i'd see anyhing like ast night.

the show was at the meyerhoff which is a very nice, upscale concert hall, home of the baltimore symphony orchestra. it started off really rockin', ryan and his band 'the cardinals' were tight as hell and playing alot of their new country rock stuff that has this real dead type feel when they start rocking it out. after about 4 or 5 songs though ryan tells the band to take a hike and starts playing solo stuff alternating between the piano and guitar. this went on for a while and after about an hour my ADD was kicking in real bad so i decided to head for set break early.

after some smokes and some beer i decided to head back in. i enter the concert hall and much to my suprise the house lights were completely on, there was nobody on stage and the whole crowd was circled around the center of the auditorium as if something had just happened. i worked my way up through the crowd and saw ryan sitting right out in the middle of the crowd playing solo acoustic like it was some coffee shop gig or something. this was awesome if you were close to him but not so good if you were farther away due to the fact he was unmic'd. i have to say this was one of the ballsiest things i've ever seen a performer do. the reaction from the crowd was one of three things, utter amazement, completel disgust or just a total feeling of not knowing what the hell to think. he was taking some real verbal abuse from the crownd at this point. some people were pissed off and rightfully so. there were many yells of "egotistical maniac" "i want my $40 back" and "check yourself into detox". for better or worse, this part of the concert was one of the most unique things i've ever seen in my concert going days. after about four songs and alot of awkward pauses right took to the stage to finish out his set(still solo, the band never came back).

i have to say ryan adams is definitely a great talent, he has one of the best voices i've ever heard live. i gotta wonder what's going on in his head though. the guy is definitely out there and was obviously waaaay fuct up. he'd start some stage banter but it would just end up being incoherent and making no sense at all. i really wish there would have been more tunes with the band because were tight as hell and what they did do was absolutely killer. ryan solo was great and really gives you an insight to his talent, but i don't have the attention span required to fully get into it. i'm looking forward to seeing him again in a rock club but, either way, this show will definitely go down in the annals.

setlist from ryanadams.org

Mockingbird into---
Beautiful Sorta
To Be Young (bluesy)
Caught in a Dream (solo)
Easy Plateau
Let it Ride

(solo from here out)
Sweet Lil Gal
Call Me on Your Way
U Will always be the same
Hardest Part
Strawberry Wine
Brown Sugar
Like a Whore

Solo in the middle of the auditorium:
Trains
The End
Rosebud
Winding Wheel

Solo back on stage:
Monsters
Sylvia Plath
Some song I don't know (Icey Lake?)

Amazing show. No lotto.
rhythmicstorm
Get Me with Fuji

wow! amazing. thanks for the report. i can't wait to see him live.
You that love lovers, this is your home. Welcome!
torph
Alsoa

damn, I gotta catch that show.... sounds- like you said, unpredictable
tim
The Weight of Solomon

sara- i hope you get your chance soon. i'm sure you'd definitely have a great appreciation for his live vocals.

torph- unpredictabilty and ryan adams do seem to go hand and hand.

here are some great photos from last night. **all photos taken by a dude named sharif**

diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

did he play 'summer of 69' or that robin hood song? i love that shit
:wink:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
tim
The Weight of Solomon

whoa...did those photos show up or are you all just seeing adds?

they were showing up fine on my computer last night.