Metric @ The Roxy

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Tara
Alsoa

Metric @ The Roxy

All right i'm not that great at reviewing things but i'm going to do my best. I saw Metric at the Roxy last night (obviously). They were really really good. The Roxy is TINY and it was only about half full not even close to sold out which was good for me.

My complaints about the Roxy were that 1) The music could have been turned half way down from where it was and it would have been sufficent. It was so loud it made it almost unenjoyable. And 2) A mixed drink (ie Capt Coke) was fucking TEN DOLLARS.

Anyway I caught the tail end of the first opening band. I think they were called "Men and WOmen" or something. I can't really say much about them because I saw so little. But I will say that I wasn't thinking "Damn I wish I hadn't missed this band!"

The second opening act "Islands" was pretty good musically. But I thought they tried to hard to put on an act. The singer came out dressed in toilet paper and was riding another member around. Wow I sound really snobby and judgemental. See I told you I wasn't good at reviewing things.

Metric was great. They played pretty close to an equal amount of old/new songs. I have no short term memory so cannot provide you with a set list. Off the top of my head I can say they played Wet Blanket, Monster Hospital, combat baby, dead disco, the list, hustle rose, calculation theme.

I can't think of anymore right now. I'm tired and achey from jumping around like an idiot :) Emily is my new hero. She's almost angelic looking, and then she comes out and flips off the audience and headbangs while she pounds on her keyboard.
Tara

"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." F. Nietzsche
tim
The Weight of Solomon

awesome! i might go down to DC check them out tomorrow night. all depends on how i'm feeling and how the paycheck treats me. i definitely want to check out 'islands', i've heard good things about them and i really like their prior incarnation 'the unicorns' (2/3rds of islands were 2/3rds of unicorns i believe)...anywho, the unicorns' album 'who will cut our hair while we're gone?' is worth checking out if you get the chance. glad to hear to had a good time though, hit me up on PM or myspace when you get a chance, i have some BTS/caustic resin studio stuff you might be interested in...
Tara
Alsoa

Really?! I have just recently been listening to the unicorns a little bit! That's funny, I had no idea. Actually the singer/guitarist I felt bad for because he tried to crowd surf but no one was expecting it or paying attention or something so he ended up just jumping into the crowd and falling on the floor. :lol:
Tara

diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

Tara wrote:...Actually the singer/guitarist I felt bad for because he tried to crowd surf but no one was expecting it or paying attention or something so he ended up just jumping into the crowd and falling on the floor. :lol:
wow! ive always wanted to see something like that in person. that sounds hillarious, though i hope he didnt hurt himself, you know, like in the movies.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Tara
Alsoa

Yeah he was ok. I wouldn't have been laughing if he wasn't.
Tara