Brooklyn get a setlist!

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Brooklyn get a setlist!

I will be in Providence and Northampton but am most likely skipping NYC. So bring a pen and paper and jot the setlist for NYC. It would be craptacular to have a missing date on slipbase. Thanks!
re.col.brucegaboni

I think I actually WILL be going to fuckin BROOKLYN, ill pen what I can.

Anyone else goin?

I'm sure the setlist will not deviate from the setlist from last night or any of the previous 35 slip shows, Children of December, I hate Love, Paper Birds, ect. Wake me up when Yellow Medicine is played.
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

Hey...hey, The Slip are branching from that. I feel that that was an experimental thing for this most recent tour and if last nights show is any clue, the Slip's unpredictability is far from gone. And The Slip has always had a few songs that were played virtually every night for a period. Dear Melina and maybe Moral Decay in 2003, Children of December and If One of Us Should Fall for the past 2 years haha, and Paper Birds (yawn) in 04. Its really odd that Paper Birds has continued to be a repeat. I know for a fact Brad thought the song hit or miss and didnt care for it as much. Accept the fact that songs like Yellow Medicine are just not as much a part of their sound as they used to be. It took me a while to but upon reflection, I dont think the Slip were ever a great straight-a-head jazz band. Their ouevre lies more in fusion like "Wolof' and songcraft although sometimes I feel that when they concentrate on their more-song-less-instrumental songs, something remains missing. I feel that throughout 2004 when they were trying to fuse their two styles, as Andrew said in 'State of Mind', they were perhaps most successful. 'Proud' is a perfect example of this. I think perhaps on this most recent tour, they lost sight of that for a while but I think theyre getting back on track. They arent a great straight a head rock band just like they arent a great straight a head jazz band. In summary, I suppose I have high expectations for the Slip. I have often thought 2003 might have been their peak but now I feel the best lies beyond the bend.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

some excellent points there dude. i too agree that probably 02-03 was some of their best work. im not sure though that during that time you cant argue that they played some kick ass guitar trio jazz. the scullers show in 00 is nuts. but very true that aren't really good as a 'rock' band or straight 'jazz' band.

sometimes i just think people think too much of these guys and expect too much from them. if you look at it from the point of view that they are just three talented musicians just trying to do their own thing and have fun then maybe we can be able to just sit back and enjoy the music, hit or miss. right yellow medicine addicted guest?

anyone care to guess the set list for NYE?
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I want Witch in the Kitchen!!
RL

Dude! I listened to 11.23.05 again last night with friends and MAN isn't Brad tearing it up on the git fiddle?! Damn! Woooooo....damn, freakin' smokin'! Even though he was probably a lil' drunk. Alot of Chuck Berry esque sound and .....just take a listen and you'll know what I mean.
etahn
From the Gecko

UN.....believable. I will agree with Clinton that Witch in the Kitchen needs (NEEDS) to bust out (that was kind of cosmic, eh? I wonder if the biys heard it?).

But please, lets be real here. '03 had its moments, but '99 was a sick fucking' year.
The world really is magic
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

i dont have any shows from 99, curses!
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
yellow medicine addicted

nothing new(2002-2005) compares to the 90's. everyone can argue about how this song they played 4 times rocked or how it didn't, or you can talk about the show you saw in 2003 that was awesome (dude) but if you never went to a show in the 90's you can nopt compare then to now

People on the other site were asking "why weren't people dancing" and that's an easy question to answer: the shit is boring. Brad's "tearing it up on the git fiddle" is incomprably less interesting then way back, the guys never highlight their skills in solos anymore; Marc is an amazing bass player but he doesn't solo, andrew is an off the wall unbelivable drummer but out of the 10 to 12 shows I saw this year he soloed once, and it was short and just a genital tease, I'm going to keep going to shows, but I'll be that guy standing there with his arms crossed not moving to this teenie bopper buble gum shit, the guys need to step up and do it, then they'll sell shit out again, Lupos would of been wall to wall if they had stepped up earlier, Sommerville would of had the balcony shaking like the 3 2000 shows (5/5, 11/3, NYE) there would be more dancing and yelling and people actually excited to be there; but I'm afraid that it wont happen and the Old crowd has already left the scene and I'm just a stragler but I'm not far off
RL

I bet you didn't even listen to 11.23.05
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

yellow medicine addicted wrote:People on the other site were asking "why weren't people dancing" and that's an easy question to answer: the shit is boring. Brad's "tearing it up on the git fiddle" is incomprably less interesting then way back,
yeah, most of the newer stuff is less challenging, improvisational than the old stuff. but i wouldnt call it boring. some songs yes, but not all.
I'm going to keep going to shows, but I'll be that guy standing there with his arms crossed not moving to this teenie bopper buble gum shit
hey its up to you, but if i fealt the way you did, i would ask myself why am i here, when im not going to enjoy yourself and pout the entire time.
the guys need to step up and do it, then they'll sell shit out again, Lupos would of been wall to wall if they had stepped up earlier, Sommerville would of had the balcony shaking like the 3 2000 shows (5/5, 11/3, NYE) there would be more dancing and yelling and people actually excited to be there; but I'm afraid that it wont happen and the Old crowd has already left the scene and I'm just a stragler but I'm not far off
that 'scene' is dead. its over. done. they tried that and where did it get them? the same place they are now. they want more exposure and playing to the 'jam' scene isn't going to get them there. it didnt before and it sure as hell isnt going to do it if they go back.

im sure your loyalty to the band is admired by... who? who are you doing this for? are you going to shows for yourself? but you dont enjoy it. sounds like self mutalation.

i agree with the point about the music not being as great as it used to, but trying to argue that they should go back to playing that way is, to that scene is bullshit.

let it be.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I only feel that the music is no longer a "warm hug for my ears" and I just feel frustrated with it and have trouble letting go of that warm feeling I used to get (which is why I still go; I'm hopeful)