Indy night 2

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Indy night 2

Set I:
Living Loving Maid
Airplane/Primitive
Chasing Rabbits
There's A Lie
Cowboy Up
Suffocation Keep
Gaunte Debutante

Set II
All I Saw Was You
Portrait of the Scientist as a Young Man
unknown >
Sometimes True To Nothing
I Hate Love
Ooh Belle
Even Rats
jam (with Holy Fuck)
E: Life in Disguise
tyler
From the Gecko

somebody's been listening to Led Zeppelin II as of late
bear
From the Gecko

the "jam" was the first song of the encore. same as the zion-esque steel drum jam from last night. The unknown before STTN had Androo on steel drum w/ a fixed drum loop. It sounded exactly like that John Mayer song "Waiting on the world to change" but much better of course. another stellar show

the STTN absolutely tore the roof off the place!

Before the second set Tim Lanterman and Fred Torphy played Nathan Moore's "Long Bowel Serenade" and "Meet the Man". Well done boys!
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
torph
Alsoa

the unknown song that went into stttn was song by spoon. not quite sure what its called. i know they switched the key of stttn to work in the steel pan. there was an awesome drum sample goin' for most of the spoon song. :D

that's cool that fred and tim got to play.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I'll post some .mp3's of Fred and Tim after I unscramble my eggs :)
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

fred and tim were fantastic, such a treat!
i love how interwoven nathan has become with all of this, so many ambassadors... he deserves it!
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>

I'm jonesin to hear me a Cowboy Up right about now.
lumpy
From the Gecko

Way to go Fred and Tim! Your voices sounded great together - looked like you were having a good time too :)

Looking forward to more music at camp harry this summer.

What a treat we got at the independent with these shows 8) - the band seemed to really just go for it, and there were some pretty big explosions along the way!
soraparuq
Mudslide

I Hate Love...too

Now, THAT was a great one.

So glad I got to hear it, & esp. a MOST, MOST beautiful Ooo Belle...was hopin for both....aaah, bliss.

Really, really even more gorgeous show last night, I think...just seemed to flow...e.g., the Suffocation Keep was perfectly placed. A strong, straight ahead, really well-played two sets.
And, what w/ the killer Livin Lovin Maid to open...i heard Brad play a few notes of this right before they started, while tuning up...and was like naaaaw, could it be??...& sho nuff, TO OPEN...who else DOES this?? like NO American touring band I can think of right now. 8)
Can't remember if Brad's string broke on this one, or the next.
Anyhow, a totally nice mix of BIG rockers and tender ballads. Super SOLID.

Indy far more crowded...lot of people didn't even seem to show up until 11:15ish, and then of course, people always seem to thin out in SF, far before the end of the show...not to say it wasn't still crowded at the end...just less people in back.

The poster was sweet, wish I would've gotten one now. Cool to see it's your new avatar Harry...& nice to meet u & January. Sorry to have missed ya magpie...I pretty much took in the whole show from that raised stage right side again...a sweet spot.

Fred, u guys did more than justice to Nathan's song....way to go...a sweet way to open the 2nd set.

Sad the shows are over & the boys are probably gone, but alas...guess I'll have to make it up to HSMF now!
take care out there all...til' next time around,
Dana
clemenTK
Neube

re: Indy Night 2

First time poster, long time listener. Most of you reading this were there to bask in it, and if you weren't there but you're still getting this, it's because you know how good it can be. So just to relive the glory for a minute on a Monday morning, I posted a few of the YouTube vids I took at the Independent on Sat of The Slip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYwlpeNGG1M (There's a Lie)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqUlHaV71PE (Life in Disguise)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHqYQg9S7U4 (

plus Fred and Timmy bonus coverage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDyQMW2n3Ac

Not the greatest movies (who knew you have to hold the camera lengthwise?), but I am not really a photoman, just getting hip to all the newfangled You Toobiness and digital camerography. :roll:

What I do know is a damn good band when I see one, and I am oh-so-tired but well-satisfied after seeing my favorite band two nights in a row. Landing-> Children of December with Horns? If One of Us Should Fall more Horns? Ray Charles with horns? AC/DC's Long Way to the Top" out of Poor Boy? Reworked Weight of Solomon? Heartbreaker -> (20 hour pause) -> Living Loving Maid? Was that steel pan gorgeousness that segued smoothly into Sometimes True To Nothing really a Spoon song? Is it possible that I heard my new favorite Slip song on Saturday? (There's a Lie, the one where Marc took a guitar solo that made yer jaw drop).

It really makes me so happy that The Slip bring out such good people, they come to visit and create a meeting place for old friends. Intelligent people come together and the excitement is so palpable that the band can tap into it and for three hours, the universe seems to be in perfect alignment.

... and it rolls and it tumbles forward
... and it pushes the envelope
... cause it's nowhere and everywhere
... as it freezes you need to reconnect
....and you're prone to depend upon it
... and it's breaking your heart to watch 'em go...

Thanks B, A, M for playing the soundtrack of our lives! Come back soon.

TK
Phrazz

welcome back!

Hey Ted,

It's been a while, man! It goes without saying the boys put on a couple of legendary shows for you and your cohorts. Thanks a ton for the videos. I like the sideways intro...it's sort of like you're laying on the couch in your living room when it starts. :)

Now I know next time I have to just put aside my life's demands and fly out for the next Indie shows. It looks like that's one of the favorite venues in the country for BAM? Certainly seems like some of the best shows.

Thanks also for the inspiring write-up, especially for those who really wanted to be there.

-Take care,

Phrazz
Every picture tells a story.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

the spoon song is 'anything you want' off the album girls can tell.
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Now I know next time I have to just put aside my life's demands and fly out for the next Indie shows.
heheh,
phrazz i thought you knew that already? ;)
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

This past NYE run was the first time I had seen the Slip not on the west coast and most of those shows have been in the Bay area or up at High Sierra. If they start doing more 2 set, 2 night shows of this caliber I suspect I will start traveling more to see these guys. (My credit card companies would sure love that!) Heck, Brad was joking the 2nd night about how they were going to do 9 sets the next night and that sounded pretty good to my fiancee and I! I'm sure my body would object unless they put some hot tubs in the Independent but my brain and soul are willing... I guess Phish played for 7 hours straight down in Florida for NYE so it can be done but I wasn't at that one.

I really can't think of any modern bands that speak to me in the way these guys do. It's not that I don't see other great bands because I do (though I get out less on the whole than I used to) and I've been seeing the Slip for a while now but they are just so on their game - churning out new material, reworking some classics, nailing covers and of course delivering their patented head-melting jams. Even though they are getting more popular post-Eisenhower I still feel like I am in on a wonderful secret.

Thanks for the vids and write-up clemenTK!