This date in Slipstory.....

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

etahn
From the Gecko

This date in Slipstory.....

(C'mon Mods, make it a sticky.)

Ten years ago, Bam played acoustic at Club Passim.

Highlight sinclude:

Droo on tabla (first and last time?)
Droo on guitar.
Marc on upright.
Conversation about what to play next dissolves into "Let's just play."

first R&G, first Lazilee, first and last Slow Lament (?)

Boy what I wouldn't give for a copy right now. I must have listened to this show a hundred times, but apparently the ether called it back.
The world really is magic
tim
The Weight of Solomon

that's always been one of my favorite tapes, unfortunately the disc i have is scratched to high hell :(

i'll actually have something to add to this thread tomorrow.
bear
From the Gecko

never fear Tahn-man, i got a copy for ya. is it only 1 disc? thats all i have
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
etahn
From the Gecko

only 1, Bear. Only 1.

ps, you're my hero. And not just because you play in Two Out Rally.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

ok, so today, may 22, 2007, is the 8th anniversary of my first slip show!
05/22/1999: All Good Festival - Wilmer's Park: Brandywine, MD
Set I: Pictures of Calysto, Yellow Medicine, So Dope, Johnny's Tune, Alsoa
i still have never been able to track this tape down so if anyone can help in that department, i'd be forever grateful.

much thanks to BAM and everyone i've met/interacted with along the way. ya'll have provided memories that will last a lifetime, given me music and experiences with which to celebrate the good times and have provided inspiration and distraction to help me through the harder times. i can only hope the years to come will be as fun and as fulfilling as the past handfull of years have been.
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

tabla

Androo played tablas a bit during one of the kniting factory shows he and Marc did with Marco and Joe and Timo
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever
etahn
From the Gecko

See, now there's something I'd like to get my hands on. I even have one of the posters.

There was also this 'take a seat' series a few years back that sounded interesting. Bueller?
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

I feel very much the same Tim. Thank you to you all!

Hope all is well and I'm now on an even keel....just ta let you know.
etahn
From the Gecko

6/27/2000 - Scullers.

I'll never forget Jamie getting as much groove on as a man can get with his ass still attached to his seat. Definite high point.

Need I say more? Anyone else want to relive some memories?

Anyone want to post this beauty? I know I've got YM->Aptos, but the rest is in harddisk limbo.
etahn
From the Gecko

11/06/1999 Wetlands, NYC

One of my favorite tapes, and one of the best shows I ever saw.

Picklebucket

raging Cumulus (sitar debut)

FJEW (w/ Stanley Gemmel)

If I had it together, I'd post said tapes. But I don't.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I would torrent it but I only have discs 2 & 3...
etahn
From the Gecko

2003-03-22

OK, I'm a day early, but I'll be out of town tomorrow, so....

2003-03-22 - The Tralfamadore, Buffalo, NY. (5 years, dude)

This show was fucking dope. I know a lot of people dug the night before (including a 'War' bust out in honor of some asshole dropping bombs on unsuspecting Iraqis)(see also: the beginning of the end), but I wasn't there, so I call this one.

A lot of the reason for this is the recording is SO good. Booty patched out of a soundboard/room mic matrix. The tapes come across wicked clean, with the listener feeling like he's stage center, filling up on the intimacy of a great band playing great tunes and playing them well. I believe this was the first night we heard Song, which was prefaced by a little tune with Andrew on cedar flute, a tune which is long lost now. Back in Fifteen Minutes is still sparkling new at this point, and features Andrew on Udu. That right there is probably worth the price of admission. And if it isn't, check out the encore.
Brad begins the encore with a nice long trip down winding country roads. He sounds like he's looking for something, like he's feeling *something*, like it's raining outside (I think it was, actually), and he's inside, just kind of feeling what it's like to be Brad Barr for a few minutes, until he opens the door for Marc and Andrew with Nellie Jean.
Now, I'm someone who hates an endless jam, and someone who loves an endless jam. On this night, they played Nellie for 20 minutes, which in most circumstances puts me well over the puke limit. But that night it worked. Every section, every refrain, every note was charged with feeling, every measure held my interest. And Nellie's one of those tunes that feels like a country road. And just as the same road feels different throughout the seasons, so does this particular tune. And this particular night felt like a year's worth of seasons balled up into one gigantic song. The only thing better than settling it down with some tasty Andrew openness was bringing it home with an epic Dear Melina.
Melina usually starts with Brad looping his riff, and fast. But this night it came in chugging, like a marathon runner in his last few miles, tired from the energy spent, but more than ready for the challenge ahead. Dear Melina this night sounds older, and wiser, scarred from the experience of life, but feeling good inside, ready to rock. Ready to roll. possibly my favorite Melina.

I don't have this currently for BT, but I'll take the first three for B&P. How's that for 2003?
Katie
Invocation

Re: 2003-03-22

That is great show. I'll have to dig that one out and give it a listen this weekend. It's not my favorite Dear Melina though. Coincidentally, my favorite is from todays date, 03.21.02.
slipbase wrote: 03/21/2002: Luther's Blues: Madison, WI
Set I: Camp Shuey > Munf, Hey Worrier!, Dear Melina, Get Me with Fuji, The Weight of Solomon*, Rhythm-a-ning
Set II: The Witch in the Kitchen, untitled > Hoc No Seh, (Take A) Beetle to the Badlands > Night Train > (Take A) Beetle to the Badlands, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell#, ? (instrumental)$, Sandman
Encore: untitled%
Notes: ! Request. * with Brad on Brian Haas' (JFJO) Rhodes Piano; included Sesame Street Teases. # Debut with Nathan Moore (ThaMuseMeant) on acoustic guitar and vocals. $ w/ Rhythm and Gold and other teases. % with all of Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey.
The flow between instrumental and vocal tunes on this one is an example of what I loved most about the '02-'03 tours. It's great to revisit the early version of Mardi Gras too. Plus the recording of this one that's in circulation was a rare soundboard from that tour, so it was one of my favorite recordings for quite a while. I'd offer up a trade but my copy is so well-loved that I don't think I can burn it (or extract the audio cleanly) anymore. If you have it though, give this one another listen too, it's worth it.
putty
From the Gecko

Re: 2003-03-22

I just went and found this 3/21/02 show, or most of it. I couldn't find the second disc for it. But the first and third are good enough for me!

This is probably the most listened to slip recordings for me. it sounds great.
etahn
From the Gecko

2002-04-04

How nice, with all the Nathan buzz going on right now...

2002-04-04
BAM resurfaces at Stanford (remember the coffee house gig?) for some seriously tasty tricks. A monster The Air, The Body opener, the long-lost In Your Dreams, Thw Witch in the Kitchen. I mostly know this show because somebody (Gustin?) made a crispy tape of it and spread it around. I love the way the intro takes about 15 minutes to get going before it drops into anything recognizable. I remember rocking this show hard back in the PA days.

Oh, I almost forgot. Some dude named Nathan sold merch for the boys on this tour. They let him come up and sing a couple songs at the end. Whaddya think? Should they keep him?