Set List: Brad Barr (solo) at Matt Murphy's, 10.26

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

bear
From the Gecko

Set List: Brad Barr (solo) at Matt Murphy's, 10.26

1: Beggar in the Morning,?, Before You Were Born, Deacon's Son, Sarah Through the Wall, Yea Yeahy, Ooh Belle, ?

2: Nowhere From Here to Go, Broke the Promised Land, Toy keyboard intro* > Let There Be Horses, Instrumental?, Suffocation Keep, Boots of Spanish Leather**, The Woods***

* Brad had a toy keyboard with a drumbeat that he looped, it did not continue into "horses.." ** Bob Dylan cover. *** by request : )

I was in the back of the bar for the first set catching up with friends. the ? songs had lyrics (unless otherwise noted) but I couldn't decipher what songs they were. The bar crowd was aweful noisy. Got up close for set 2 and man it was a treat. Brad was on fire. Got some bad pics (dim light) and a crappy video (but good sound quality) of part of Suffocation. It'll be on my blog soon. Phrazz was taking great pics and Clinton was there so hopefully he can fill in the blanks on my setlist. G'Night y'all, Thanks again Brad...
Last edited by bear on Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com
lumpy
From the Gecko

Thanks for the setlist bear! That looks like a great way to spend an evening....

You seem to be all over lately - coming back west soon?
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

I would have killed for Spanish Boots!!!!
perhaps we will hear that again :-(

-Dan
bear
From the Gecko

I actually moved back to RI recently. going back to school and such. I'm originally from these parts so I've made my return home. Definitely gonna miss those SMMD shows, bummer!
The Spanish Boots was awesome. Very slow and Brad was using his boomerang to create a lot of backwards guitar sounds and trippy effects. very nice...

chloe
Lion on a Rock

Wonderful beautiful gorgeous night of music and people and the such. I'm more hungover than i have been in a long long time and have to go wait a saturday night's worth of tables but.... the opening song, which also contained the discernable lyrics of "beggar in the morning" was a title i had seen earlier from a brad solo show and has a melody which will get stuck in your head if you let it.... really really enjoyed that. also.... i want to state for the record that with effects and just sheer emotive power shining through a guitar amp the intro of broke the promised land just might have openend up a hole in reality in a parallel universe or something. i have seen a lot of musicians, brad one of them, wow me with sound in many different states of mind, and my mind was blown wide open with just a few notes played in just the right way in the lead up to that one... wow.... just wow... and lastly, the first untitled instrumental was, i'm pretty sure, sarah through the wall.... also catchy as a cold. many other highlights as well, good to see lotsa good folks.... gotta go eat greasy pizza and drink lots of water....

ps.... bear.... how have i never met you? i keep hearing you're in another room or hearing your accounts of shows i've been at after the fact.... we have to remedy this at some point.... welcome back to this coast
chloe
Lion on a Rock

oh wait.... ha ha.... i'm dyslexic.... just saw "beggar in the morning" was the second song.... as i said.... bit hungover :oops: don't mind me people....
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

You folks are soooo lucky. Thanks for sharing ;}
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

pleeeasseeee tell me this was taped
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Man, sounds like a treat! Boots of Spanish Leather! The Woods! Also wold love to hear the new stuff... would love to hear it all! I've never seen a Brad solo show, missed him last time he came to the Yankee (the day before the Cafe Du Nord > Hotel Utah > Ivy Room run in 6/06 which managed to blow my mind all the same.)
bear
From the Gecko

I think you're right Chloe, "Beggar..." was the opener. And the instr was "Sarah...", I listened to the Radish page today and remember hearing the fast guitar runs that are in "Sarah..." thanks for the help! Hope to run into you soon...

Cleantone was running tape but I don't know if it was for the public or not...

lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

can someone post the recording of this pleaasseee
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I believe that cleantone was the only taper at this gig and I am guessing that he does not have Brad's permission to circulate it so I wouldn't hold your breath or anything.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

super weak, i certainly hope that's not the case
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Super weak??? If Cleantone records something for Brad which Brad doesn't want out there I don't see where the weakness is... Artists have their shows professionally recorded all the time and don't release most or any of it and if Cleantone records something for an artist and they ask for it not to be released you gotta respect that. I personally am the type that would want a recording of almost everything these guys do but I have had to consign myself to the harsh reality that that is not going to become a reality any time soon.

If you really want a tape buy a recorder and some mics and do it yourself. That's what I did. Otherwise complaining isn't really very becoming and certainly isn't going to get you on the fast track to any recordings around here.
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

how about this? could someone perhaps post another brad solo show from recent times? i wouldnt mind some solo brad barr.