Bar Four

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Rob Turner
Cumulus

Bar Four

Is this really happening tonight?

Anyone have an estimated start time??
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

8-11ish
Phrazz

unannounced shows

Well, cat's out of the bag now... :)
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

It's not a Davis show. I think it is something Marco put together. I honestly have no idea what will be happening musically. I have a taper going (hopefully).
Rob Turner
Cumulus

I think Marco does a weekly thing there, and presumably while the guys are in town, they might as well sit in, right?
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

what's going on here?
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

ouch

If I'd known about this I would've scheduled my wisdom tooth extraction for tommorow
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever
Rob Turner
Cumulus

Was mentioned by band onstage last night...
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

does anyone have a setlist for this? there was a little writeup on jambands.com, says they played a bunch of covers, itd be neat to see which in particular
hope everyone enjoys the last SMMD show tonight!
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Off jambands.com:

Of Barrs and Benevento

The Slip’s Brad and Andrew Barr stayed in New York for an extra night after their performance with Surprise Me Mr. Davis at Sullivan Hall Sunday. While in town, the Barr brothers stopped by Marco Benevento’s semi-regular residency at Brooklyn’s Bar 4 last night to play a surprise, two-hour set with their longtime friend. The trio ran through an interesting mix of jazz-based material that nodded to The Slip, The Duo and some of their collective influences, ranging from Led Zeppelin to Radiohead. The Barrs also helped Benevento through a few selections from his solo canon, including “The Real Morning Party,” and offered a choice cover of My Morning Jacket’s “Golden.”

Surprise Me Mr. Davis’ tour will come to a close at Fall River, MA’s Narrows Center for The Arts this evening, while the Duo will play an acoustic show at New Orleans’ Preservation Hall on Saturday.
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

still no details from this show eh? that's a shame
Rob Turner
Cumulus

Well, it was a casual setting. just a little bar on a Brooklyn street corner. I was able to take the show in from the front row while reclining on a very comfortable living roomesque chair. Brad was in the center with Marco to his left and Andrew to his right. They definitely did at least two, maybe three from Marco's Invisible disc. They also attacked "What Is and What Should Never Be." The last two (MMJ's "Golden" and a song by request, I think a Marco number) were Andrew and Marco only. I thought I recognized an old Slip instrumental early in the set but could not place the title (sorry).

The playing was outstanding all night, mindmeldy at times. It was nice to hear jazz licks coming out of Brad's guitar for an entire performance. He was very focused in his playing and we were treated to some nice li'l guitar runs at times and some sweet interplay all night. Was Marco's gig, so he was doing alot of the leading, but of course there were many moments of truly magnificent ensemble playing. Andrew was steady as always, and he sprinkled in some gorgeous subtle inputs for the careful listener.

There was definitely a taper there, so keep an eye out (or if you know him, encourage him to seed it!!).

As much as I loved this set, it was also nice to dive back into the wall of SMMD energetic sound again in Fall River the next night.....
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

sounds fucking sweet to say the least
Rob Turner
Cumulus

There were definitely mics there - any word of a recording on the 'Net?