Davis in the northeast

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

stephen
Lion on a Rock

Davis in the northeast

Hey all - the Narrows has announced a Surprise Me Mr. Davis show for August 27, and yes, that's the name they are using for this show. Hopefully there'll be a few more shows announced soon.
mwred
Lion on a Rock

NM's e-list said a while ago that he'd be doing Northeast shows this summer too -- looks like something may be shaping up here...
nfa
Tenfold

SMMD NE show's

Hey now! The Narrows is listing the SMMD show for 8/27...yea!

That show is not listed on The Slip or SMMD myspace pages...hmm?

Anyone have the down-low on other potential NE SMMD shows?
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

wherever they play you guys need to go (and tape) as they are on FIRE right now!
Big Bob
From the Gecko

sweet! the recent setlists look fantastic.
bradm
Beantown Rocker

Re: SMMD NE show's

nfa wrote:Hey now! The Narrows is listing the SMMD show for 8/27...yea!

That show is not listed on The Slip or SMMD myspace pages...hmm?
It's on the SMMD Facebook page (which I'm assuming is official; if it isn't, let me know).

Aloha,
Brad
nfa
Tenfold

SMMD NE show's

I just noticed that Nathan's MySpace page lists upcoming shows...

http://www.myspace.com/nathanmooresongs

If you click on the show links several of those are slated to be SMMD shows, "with special guests"...

8/23/2009 10:00 PM at Castaways, Ithaca, New York
8/26/2009 8:30 PM at The Bell House, Brooklyn, New York
8/27/2009 8:00 PM at Narrows Center for the Arts, Fall River, Mass

So there is the August SMMD run. Make your travel plans now :^)

...Matt
mwred
Lion on a Rock

The Narrows' website lists the 8/27 show as SMMD with the Low Anthem opening....
Katie
Invocation

The Slip mailing list wrote:Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Low Anthem come together for a run of shows in the Northeast next week. Surprise Me Mr. Davis will be joined by very special guest and most recent confederate Marco Benevento on piano.
Dear SMMD,

Marco played with you in California while I was stuck in the Northeast. And now you're all playing the Northeast when I'll be in California? :shock: NOoooo!

In the future, this could be avoided by consulting me on your tour plans. :wink:

-Me
mwred
Lion on a Rock

I'm in. See you at the NCFTA...
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Who else is going to these? Ithaca, Brooklyn or Narrows? I know Cleantone is in for Narrows... Hoping there will be some tapers at the others, anyone??

Signed,
Severely Jealous in CA
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

It doesn't really look good for Ithaca being recorded. At least nobody has confirmed with me that they will be there tonight. Someone may be there. If anyone goes and sees a taper please get there email for me.

I am pretty sure I have a taper or two for Brooklyn. There will be some audience tapers in Fall River too I think.
mwred
Lion on a Rock

how was last night? looking forward to this evening at the narrows...
tote
Get Me with Fuji

Short review of 8-26 (SMMD the Bell House)

Well, I sure hope someone was taping last night because I was truly blown away by SMMD in a way that few if any shows have ever blown me away. I actually think this show was live-album worthy, personally. It was that good. The place was an old barn-like building with two golden chandeliers above the audience and a large buffalo painted over the stage. The beer is microbrewed and delicious, and the large room was roughly half full; just about perfect for dancing or circulating to check out different perspectives and players.

The music was beyond description. I would pretty much just sum it up as flawless. It was more than half new tunes (to me anyway)... along with some classics like sissyfuss and when a woman... Marco and Brad traded licks on sissyfuss, which stands out above the drunken haze that is my memory of last night.. Marco is a perfect fit with this band. He busted out the accordion on numerous occasions. Brad was on fire for literally the entire evening. A very solid performance, probably the MVP imho. I heard people comparing him to Jimmy Page and Jerry Garcia in the post show chatter. Nathan was brilliant, voice sounded amazing. Andrew and Marc were super solid. The Low Anthem came out and played with them for two songs or so at the end. Very cool!!

So this isn't much of a review, but I just wanted to get people the word that this tour is going to be sick!!! I would have loved to go to the Narrows tonight, but oh well. Still trying to finaggle a way to go to Ithica. I highly recommend both if you can. There are a bunch of very fresh new tunes, and in a way, I think that Surprise Me Mr. Davis is evolving into everything I ever loved about The Slip (the energy, improvisational spirit, soul, and innovation) plus so much more. I am just so psyched about last night's show is all. Enjoy the Narrows, you lucky Massholes. Feel free to chime in with a setlist anyone.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

thanks, tote... i love reading reviews like that, gives me the grins :D

can't wait to hear how the rest of the shows go!! (and, i hope to eventually *hear* some of these shows!)
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>