11/19 Club Metronome, Burlington VT

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tyler
From the Gecko

11/19 Club Metronome, Burlington VT

SMMD setlist (approximate):

Tombstone
Poor Boy
Summer of My Fall
That's The Way
I'm No Good At All
When a Woman
Mardi Gras
Sissyfuss
I Hate Love
--
As Long as There's One of Us Standing
As the Crow Flies

There were also prob. 3 or 4 songs I wasn't familiar with mixed in there as well, and this might not totally be in order. Great show though. 2 or 3 of the people I went with went just for Land of Talk but were SMMD converts by the end of the night. Really nice mix between the new tunes and old ones. (I actually had never seen SMMD play Poor Boy or Mardi Gras before.) Show ended with the guys coming off the stage and finishing up As the Crow Flies in the middle of the crowd. When they were done, they bowed and went directly to the bar for drinks. Nathan said that 2010 would be a big year for them. I hope this time they really mean it.

Land of Talk was equally incredible, and it was nice to see them in a small place (I had only previously seen them at Metropolis in Montreal opening for BSS). Walked in about halfway through their first song after attening the Guthrie Family across the street at the Flynn. Their setlist, also approximate/may be missing some things:

Yuppy Flu
Corner Phone
Sea Foam
Some Are Lakes
May You Never
Its Okay
Got a Call
All My Friends
Death By Fire
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

thanks for the review. I had tickets but was too sick to go. I was really bummed out. Where there any tapers there?
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Thanks for the review, tyler!
Katie
Invocation

Thanks for the setlists, Tyler. I didn't have a pen and didn't feel like typing it in my phone.

It was a great show. Loved the new stuff, and great to hear some older tunes too. Mardi Gras in particular. Last time I remember hearing it was at the theater in Waitsfield, VT where Nathan played the melodica from the projection booth. And I never thought I'd be excited to hear Poor Boy played live again, after all the Slip shows I've seen it played at over the years, but it actually made me smile to hear those familiar opening cords.

I wasn't too familiar with Land of Talk and enjoyed their set too, though I wish the vocals were mixed a little differently... I couldn't make out much of the lyrics.

Jonah was taping that night. It can be a difficult room to work with sometimes, but hopefully it came out OK. Keep an eye on his website for it later: http://www.vermontlivemusic.com/Surpris ... .%20Davis/