Marco and the Barrs Montreal Jan.10th

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

jibooer
Lion on a Rock

Marco and the Barrs Montreal Jan.10th

Well pholks just thought I would drop you a line and let you know that our brothers from The Slip are doing well and played exceptionally well last night here in Montreal.

Twas a chilly night in Montreal, but for a few of us folks we warmed up with a nice treat. As usual, Le Divan Orange had a very laid-back and subdued vibe and the musicians seemed very happy to be reunited again.

To our amazement, we were treated by an opening set of Brad Barr and Miles Perkins (Super Little). The set was highly experimental, with Miles and Brad establishing a spacey tone and where improvisation created long extended intros for songs such as 'I'm A Monster' and 'Deacon's Son'. To give you an idea they played 4 songs in a span of 45 minutes!

The Marco set was equally amazing. Marco played an old upright piano which has and olditme sound, kinda rough. He combined this with effects and presto - we had an original sounding and strange instrument! The set featured Reed Mathis on bass and Andrew on drums. Marco incorporated into one of his tunes, 'If One of Us...' which I though was pretty cool. I'm sure I heard a few other The Slip melodies throughout the night as well. The trio was joined by Brad toward the end of the set, with Brad playing the electric. They played a great mix of tempos and moved from jam to jam, piece to piece very cleanly showing us that they have deep musical connections. Once again improvisation was the name of the game, with Marco leading the way.

Please stay tuned for a setlist.

jah bless
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

ah sounds like an epic show i knew i should have made the mission
can't wait to hear the tapes! i hope brad's opening set got recorded as well (and that he allows circulation)
Twitter: @lucsamuels
jibooer
Lion on a Rock

alas, the brad set can't be circulated....

i'll be upping my version of the marco show today or tomorrow however.
lumpy
From the Gecko

jibooer wrote:alas, the brad set can't be circulated....

i'll be upping my version of the marco show today or tomorrow however.
nice. thanks for the recent recordings jibooer!
discofrank
Mudslide

Next time Lucas I hope! What a wonderful night of music!

Can't wait to do it again! Cheers!
bradm
Beantown Rocker

Re: Marco and the Barrs Montreal Jan.10th

jibooer wrote:To our amazement, we were treated by an opening set of Brad Barr and Miles Perkins (Super Little). The set was highly experimental, with Miles and Brad establishing a spacey tone and where improvisation created long extended intros for songs such as 'I'm A Monster' and 'Deacon's Son'. To give you an idea they played 4 songs in a span of 45 minutes!
The four were, in order:

Hello, I'm A Monster
Devil's Harp
Deacon's Son
Cloud

Aloha,
Brad
bear
From the Gecko

I wish Brad would let AUD recordings be circulated atleast, or did you patch from a board? marco usually teases STTN a bunch. Look slike a fun show.

I would love to hear Super Little (or Berithan Berio or whatever they call themselves) outside of MOntreal sometime.
"if there's one thing I know to be true, let what you love be what you do"

http://www.talkingaboutcommas.com
http://www.liesanddreams.blogspot.com