Slip/SMMD High Sierra 2010

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

Slip/SMMD High Sierra 2010

High Sierra just announced the 2010 lineup, its pretty damn stellar and we get both The Slip + SMMD to boot.

The Avett Brothers
Ozomatli
Femi Kuti and Positive Force
Railroad Earth
Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain, and Edgar Meyer
Dr. Dog
Karl Denson's Tiny Universe
Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue
Cornmeal
Blitzen Trapper
The New Mastersounds
March Fourth Marching Band
Nels Cline Singers
The Infamous Stringdusters
Surprise Me Mr. Davis
The Slip
BLVD
Beats Antique
Telepath
Carolyn Wonderland
Darol Anger's Republic Of Strings featuring Sharon Gilchrist
Great American Taxi
Nathan Moore
Johnny Vidacovich, Robert Walter Duo
Big Light
Trampled By Turtles
Zach Deputy
and many more to come!
Twitter: @lucsamuels
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Good initial list... I mean I would have been there anyway but other than the Slip, Davis & Nathan I am particularly psyched for Bela, Zakir & Edgar, Dr. Dog, Karl D., New Mastersounds, Vidacovich/Walter Duo, Darol Anger & of course Big Light...
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Did anyone else notice that SMMD is billed above The Slip? That's gotta be a first...
ScS
From the Gecko

some day i will make it to this festival. don't think it will be in the cards this year.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
Phrazz

lineup interesting

Yes, slightly odd to see SMMD above The Slip in billing. Is this lineup order any indication of current bands' popularities?

NMS kicks ass...I'd go just to see them!

I'm not such a huge fan of Avett Brothers, but I've only seen them once or twice. They were extremely loudly mixed, so maybe that was the issue. The songs really didn't grab me...not like most other bands I like.

I'm a little surprised also to see Ozomatli over Femi Kuti, but I'm sure the local draw has a lot to do with this ordering (like most other festies).

March Forth is a ton of fun...caught them in Davis Sq. last Halloween and it was hilarious! They must have 20 or 30 people in their crew...I think everyone was acrobatic in some way (total circus band...get the crowd involved, too).

Stringdusters...yes! Andy Hall is one of the best dobro players on the planet.

Johnny V and a Robert Walters as a duo should be really cool...too bad no Duo duo...which are two of my faves, too (tu, to, tewe? ;-}).

Telepath were interesting at Bear Creek, but I'd much prefer New Deal or Lotus. However, I think some of these bands not on this lineup will be at Nateva, which I'm sort of leaning towards since it's on the East Coast and is in its infancy (nice to see a festival grow from scratch). Tough call...I want to hit both...too bad they're on the same weekend.

I wish all the festie owners would talk to each other and stagger the major ones better. I guess it's not that easy...or they'd just do it. Getting a place for a whole weekend is a trick and a half...getting everyone there is the monumental feat. Festival collision happened a bit more in the last few years...definitely seemed some bumped another off (like Hampton Phish vs Langerado is case in point). I hope this isn't as much a factor since east/west coasts are far enough apart (are they?).

Anyhow, I also can only do 1 or 2 per month...if I'm lucky. I'd love to do a festival every weekend, but it's not easy to travel that much and it's a bit pricey the farther you go (and certain weekends like holidays you can pay double for everything, which means cutting another weekend somewhere else to compensate). I could do early July and mid to late (Bisco being high on my maybe list)...and August there's a couple I like. Close festies are actually the way to go because it's easy to spend 5x the ticket cost on travel and lodging (unless camping inclu. it, which is a deal).

I'd like to get into more specifically why I think some bands deserve higher or lower billing, but I defer to the local scene to determine that best (bands that bring in from a nearby town should always get some kind of priority). Anyhow...lineups can change...but interesting to see what the promoters are thinking. I agree in general with the order.

Wouldn't it be cool to let the fans pick the lineup???? 8)

-Phrazz