Barr Brothers in Maine tonight!!!

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Smoove Smiff
Yaki Soba

Barr Brothers in Maine tonight!!!

Can't wait for this show at the very small, very intimate One Longfellow Square tonight...I haven't been fortunate enough to see the Barr Brothers live yet, and I haven't seen ANY members of the Slip, whether solo, BAM, SMMD, etc., for a few years now. It's been waaaaaaay too long!!!
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Re: Barr Brothers in Maine tonight!!!

cool let us know how it went!
GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

Great show!! I won't attempt a setlist, but they played several new songs that sounded nicely polished, in addition to:

Beggar in the Morning,
Old Mythologies
Ooh Belle
Devil's Harp
Deacon's Son
Cloud
Give the Devil Back

Really great venue for their show, with a fairly full house and a very attentive audience. Hopefully they felt the love from Portland and will be back! Apparently, this show was scheduled late because of a schedule change in Providence and, luckily, a cancellation by Anais Mitchell who was supposed to perform. It was an HONOR to have them come through Portland!! Thanks guys!! COME BACK SOON!!

Cheers!
Smoove Smiff
Yaki Soba

Very good show, indeed! I got there about halfway through Joci's set - pretty good stuff, but I much prefer the full effect of her tried-and-true Low Anthem ensemble. One Longfellow Square in Portland is a very small seated venue, and the turnout probably hovered around 50-60 people. As the Barrs & Company took to the stage to begin, Brad went to adjust the volume of his amp and discovered that there was no guitar signal coming from it, only an irritating and (I'm sure) embarrassing buzz/hum...so he quickly swiched out the Fender with his 1980s Roland amp, to no avail - the loud humming remained. Brad, always the courteous performer, apologized to the crowd and asked if he could just take three minutes to figure out what was going on. The house lights came up again, and he again switched back to the Fender amp...it turns out that it was either one of his guitar cables or pedals that was acting up with even the slightest movement. Brad remarked that "if that thing was a racehorse, it would be taken out and shot right now." So after a brief delay, the band launched into one of the greatest openers of the Barrs' career (and the opener of most shows they've played in their current lineup), "Beggar in the Morning." The set continued pretty much exactly the same as the previous night at Cafe 939 in Boston, with the unfortunate omittal of "Lord I Just Can't Keep From Cryin.'" Brad also commented that everytime he's ever come to Portland for a gig, either with BAM or SMMD or on this night with The Barr Brothers, he's always been really nervous and slightly paranoid about the Portland crowd and their acceptance of their work. I don't think he has anything to worry about - everyone in the room knew that they were experiencing something special...these guys are at the top of their game, and Brad has become such an amazing songwriter and lyricist as of late ("Beggar" and "Old Mythologies" especially, as well as "Deacon's Son"). Four very badass souls, creating interesting, dynamic, emotionally-charged, genuinely heartfelt sounds...can't wait to see them again!!!
Big Bob
From the Gecko

damn. i'm in maine these days but totally missed this. aw man.