Brad Barr - Dakota Tavern, Toronto, Aug 18, 2016

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

Brad Barr - Dakota Tavern, Toronto, Aug 18, 2016

Bringing this place back to life a bit.

Went to see Brad do an opening, solo set for Tavis Triance & The Natural Way last week. Brad also plays guitar in the band, which I believe is made up of Montreal musicians.

Anyways, Brad's set was super brief, just 4 songs.

1. The Song That We Heard
2. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)*
3. New Song (I think they're calling it 'Queens', the Barr Bros played it at Osheaga and a few other recent Montreal shows)
4. Burn Card

*Beach Boys cover

Dakota Tavern is super intimate. A great sounding venue. I couldn't stick around for the Tavis set, but supposedly they've got a great vibe - akin to The Band.

I took some great pics from the show but my phone ended up conking out the next morning and all the images were corrupted. So it goes.

That's all for now!
Twitter: @lucsamuels
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Re: Brad Barr - Dakota Tavern, Toronto, Aug 18, 2016

Is there a reason why the Barr Brothers are mostly sticking to doing shows in Canada and besides maybe a couple(?) not doing very many shows in the U.S. anymore?
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

I would guess they've just seen bigger growth in the fanbase in Canada.

And, since they're in between records and currently recording, it's probably just easier to stay within the country.

Finally, the Montreal music community is so tightly knit (and has such amazing talent) that there seems to be a ton of opportunity to play in other bands / gig accordingly.
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

lucasdavidsamuels wrote:I would guess they've just seen bigger growth in the fanbase in Canada.

And, since they're in between records and currently recording, it's probably just easier to stay within the country.

Finally, the Montreal music community is so tightly knit (and has such amazing talent) that there seems to be a ton of opportunity to play in other bands / gig accordingly.
just wish i had the opportunity to see them more often! think last time i saw them was a small short show in redhook in brooklyn last summer.
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

Whoa. This is awesome. Lucas, do you know if anyone taped Brad's opening set? I'd kill to hear his arrangement of "Don't Talk...," a great cut off Pet Sounds. I think it's super cool he played that.
Hear Here
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

...Also, good looks and thanks for the setlist!
Hear Here
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

No tapers - there were only about 15 people there for Brad's set.

You can listen to his take on the track here: https://projetpalmusic.bandcamp.com/track/dont-talk
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

lucasdavidsamuels wrote:No tapers - there were only about 15 people there for Brad's set.

You can listen to his take on the track here: https://projetpalmusic.bandcamp.com/track/dont-talk
Wow! Thanks! I can't believe that track is almost a year old already and I'd never heard about it until now.
Hear Here
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Joe Higley wrote:
lucasdavidsamuels wrote:No tapers - there were only about 15 people there for Brad's set.

Wow! Thanks! I can't believe that track is almost a year old already and I'd never heard about it until now.
Man, he really nails the vocals on this one!