Sound Tribe Sector Nine

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

pete
Get Me with Fuji

Sound Tribe Sector Nine

I’m going to see STS9 for the first time this Thursday, but I’m not sure what to expect. The only thing I know about them is that they sounded great with Andrew at High Sierra in 2001: http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-deta ... p?id=22236

Does anyone have any thoughts about these guys? Have they changed much in the last five years? Should I stay home and reorganize my canned soup collection instead?

-Pete
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan
inabag

just saw them sunday for the first time in a year or so. Played a lot of new tunes I didnt know and wasnt diggin that much. BUT, they had this amazing bass duel that featured this chick rippin the bass up like there was no tomorrow. She was no Friedman but she rocked pretty hard, all in all I had fun so Id say go.

Canned soup reorganizing sounds relaxing though.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

Re: Sound Tribe Sector Nine

GO! wear a comfortable pair of sneakers and get ready for a total dance party. saw them this past thursday, and, as always, they totally brought the heat. they're one of my absolute favorite bands to see live, their shows always leave me with a good vibe that lingers for days afterwards. at shows i'm pretty much a head-bobber, but sound tribe gets me moving every joint in my body every time.

if you like what you heard from '01 then i definitely think you'll dig what they're doing now. they're one of the fews bands in the "scene" that continue to get better and better every year IMO. but definitely give them a shot. i think they're pretty much one of those bands that if you like them you REALLY like them.

if you don't already know, they're all over archive so that's the spot to check out their sound. http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-deta ... p?id=18284 is one of my favorites, a little mellow but amazing nonetheless. if you decide to check out be mindful that the first track "11 minutes of Captain Harris opener" is just 11 minutes of the dj who spun beforehand and not sts9.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

Go! Pam and I are going to this as well (it's her birthday on thursday..)... I'll be wearing a hat that says "old school" with a pic of young homer on it... It's gonna be awesome...

this will only be the 2nd time I've seen them.. first time was with Tim and Diesel at Berkfest... and there was this dude with flowers running around the stage... I understand what he was trying to do.. but that doesn't make it any less funny... :)
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
pete
Get Me with Fuji

All right! I'm starting to get excited.

Huzzah!
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

Pstehley wrote:this will only be the 2nd time I've seen them.. first time was with Tim and Diesel at Berkfest... and there was this dude with flowers running around the stage... I understand what he was trying to do.. but that doesn't make it any less funny... :)
lol! oh yeah! im dont know much about crystals or vibes or anything, not that im against it, to each their own, but they basically have left all that stuff at home i guess. no more crystals, painters, flowers, even dreads. maybe they pawned all that stuff for laptops, b/c they all seem to have one next to them. imo, its when they go digital and start hitting their pc keyboards that the music starts to get boring and really repetitive. if i wanted the same beat blasting in my ear for 5 minutes, i'd listen to hip hop, which i rather not.

hey, but i did have a good time, thank you mr. street pharmacist.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
etahn
From the Gecko

Pete!
Long time. Finally gettin out of 'the Rock', eh?

tim, are you sure it's the music leaving you high for three days and not the six hits of ecstasy?
The world really is magic
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

diesel wrote:hey, but i did have a good time, thank you mr. street pharmacist.
Classic...
etahn wrote:tim, are you sure it's the music leaving you high for three days and not the six hits of ecstasy?
ZIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
tim
The Weight of Solomon

etahn wrote:tim, are you sure it's the music leaving you high for three days and not the six hits of ecstasy?
lol...too easy...ever find those shoes man?

seriously though, sober or spun, i always have a great time at their shows.
etahn
From the Gecko

tim wrote:...ever find those shoes man?
you fucker. :shock: I can't believe you said that. And BTW, that experience left me feeling something for three days, but it wasn't high.
pete
Get Me with Fuji

etahn wrote:Pete!
Long time. Finally gettin out of 'the Rock', eh?
Well, almost - I'll be out in December.

Apparently, it's not a great idea to take nothing but math classes for the first three years of college.

Then again, I'm not in that big of a hurry to leave. We've got a kick-ass microbrewery in town now. :D
http://www.northcountrybrewing.com/
-Brautigan
etahn
From the Gecko

pete wrote:Apparently, it's not a great idea to take nothing but math classes for the first three years of college.
That's the dumbest thing I think I've ever heard. Three years of nothing but math will make a man out of anyone. Well, anyone it doesn't reduce to a snivelling, whining little girl.

Remember: Mathematicians do it one-to-one and onto!

I'd tell you to say hi to Dr. Ismail for me, but I don't think he'd remember me. I sort of failed his analysis class.

So what next? from the Rock to the Burgh?
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

etahn wrote:Remember: Mathematicians do it one-to-one and onto!
argh.. i hate linear transformations, i think ive taken that class 5 times.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
etahn
From the Gecko

linear transformations love you, diesel. (even if you're a Jew.)
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

Show was ok.. 2nd set was better than the first...

but during the first, all I could think of was.. wow.. it must be a real pain in the ass to wear that guitar when your playing keyboards the whole time...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!