web hosting recommendations?

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

web hosting recommendations?

hey y'all
i'm looking for basic low cost *reliable* web hosting, preferably with an intuitive easy to use user/account interface. any suggestions?
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>

site5.com
Phrazz

Site 5 looks cool

Seems great at first glance. Having local support is key, and lots of space for a great price. Maybe I'll give them a closer look. What site(s) have you set up on this provider? [feel free to email me if you don't want it publicized]
GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

site5 is super reliable and super cheap. we use it to host my office's website, which is a rather small and undemanding site, but we've never had any problems in 2 or 3 years and site5 is easy to access for html editing via ftp or through site5's own online web-based editor.

G
JEFFfromNC

I Just purchased space from here:

http://www.hostmonster.com/hosting-features.htm

200GB of Space
2TB of Bandwidth per month.
All of the bells and whistles.
$4.95 if you sign up for 2 years.
I think I paid a total of $118 for two years.
“We search for acceptance, yet we give not freely...”
"There is a lot more to people, then you might give them credit for."
Addictions: I spent many years unknowingly acquiring them, now I spend every minute trying to fight them.
Phrazz

specs look ok at glance

Hmmm...Orem Utah or California? The specs look OK, but Site5's help board shows they are real people. The HostMonster name and layout looks like generic 'cookie cutter' ISP, which is about what Lypha resembles. At least both are domestic and the specs look OK, but finding out how many virtual hosts they put on a physical server is a big deal -- the cookie cutters like Lypha overload to the max and this bogs things down. I'm also not so sure Utah is better connected than southern CA. This makes a big difference in the long haul, particularly back to the east coast (main fan base, but also more net competition, particularly peak demand hours since CA is three hours later).

I'm going to sign up for site5 and give it a spin from the inside. That's the only way to really know for sure what their tech support is really like. Lypha has been pretty bad, which is my main reason for seeking alternatives. Site5 looks very cool, HostMonster only sorta cool (great specs, but the site looks fake and I don't see names, so maybe they're on a boat somewhere :).

Thanks for the insight and if you have examples of support (like issues you've dealt with and have had resolved, problems fixed on the first try, etc), that is bigger to me than just raw I/O or space (a hassle free hosting relationship ;-}). All the bells aren't necessary, but bells that work well are better in my book. I mean: a broken bell is worse than a broken guitar string.

-Phrazz
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

i'm soaking up any info i can get... i've taken on revamping my bf's site, diving in headfirst so to speak, as i've never done anything like this before.
what i've discovered so far is that his current host is *not* user friendly. i've got less than two weeks to find another host. any and all advice is appreciated!!
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>