Surprise Me Mr. Davis - the new record

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

lumpy
From the Gecko

Surprise Me Mr. Davis - the new record

Percy Boyd posted this over at frogville's Thought Swap Parlor, but thought everyone here would be just as excited about this as I am:

1 Everything Must Go
2 Summer of My Fall
3 Poor Boy
4 Tin Can Coffee Cup
5 How Stupid I Am
6 Rubber Ball
7 Fat King of Gods
8 I Hate Love
9 One of Us Standing
10 Last One Ever

That's how it sits at the moment, we recorded and mixed all ten in five days and our plan is to go straight to record. The records will have never entered the digital realm. Juicy. The guy, Jace, who recorded us was a godsend and my experience with Frogville paved the way for the analog vision. The plan had been to go to Protools all along. It was a great moment when we decided to stick with analog to the end, and it led to all the beautiful gathering around mics on the last track that you would expect. It was the brilliant way to go. Frogville teaches me well.

We're calling it "Only in Montreal."

By now, I've recovered from the session, there was alot of Jameson and beer drinking going on, alot of smoking and short sleeps. But today, I feel refreshed, it's a beautiful day here in Montreal. Such a young vibrant city this is. I feel free here, and chillaxed. My fingers are crossed that some songs will start coming to me while I'm here so I can sing them and return here through them. That would be so nice.

much love
percy
caballero

Poor Boy again? hmm. maybe this edition will include a RIPPING guitar solo.

(was that even proper use of the word RIPPING?)

still. I am excited.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

sweet...

this is pretty exciting... 2 albums in one year... and maybe they'll release NYE soon too... (it'll happen eventually...)
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
bouche
Alsoa

caballero wrote:Poor Boy again? hmm. maybe this edition will include a RIPPING guitar solo.

(was that even proper use of the word RIPPING?)

still. I am excited.
the proper use is " rippin' guitar solo "
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

Time to get that turntable spinin'

Its great when i hear classics on vinyl and new classics on vinyl are even better! Hopefully this album sounds like some of my old favorites do, with that same spirit and sound.

dan
mango
Cumulus

no, that's not what they mean by staying analog to the end, is it? an LP release? or are they just talking about the engineering/mixing/mastering...

i also want to post this picture, for posterity:

tim
The Weight of Solomon

Re: Surprise Me Mr. Davis - the new record

lumpy wrote: I've recovered from the session, there was alot of Jameson and beer drinking going on
:D :D :D
mango wrote:no, that's not what they mean by staying analog to the end, is it? an LP release? or are they just talking about the engineering/mixing/mastering...
i'm pretty sure nathan is talking about the recording process as well. as much as i'd love to see anything slip related on vinyl, i doubt there is a demand that would warrant it.
lumpy
From the Gecko

I would've totally been agreement with you regarding the LP, but Nathan says over on Frogville that it will be an LP - staying analog through to the end. They will also digitally remaster and put out on cd.

How frickin' sweet is that! :D :shock: :D

http://www.frogvilleplanet.com/phpBB2/v ... c00ee831d4
tim
The Weight of Solomon

lumpy wrote:I would've totally been agreement with you regarding the LP, but Nathan says over on Frogville that it will be an LP - staying analog through to the end. They will also digitally remaster and put out on cd.

How frickin' sweet is that! :D :shock: :D

http://www.frogvilleplanet.com/phpBB2/v ... c00ee831d4
that is awesome indeed. i hope everyone purchases it so we can make it worthwhile and give us better prospects for future LP releases. time to start price shopping record players!
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

I have an old Seame street turntable that i have been using. My old one that was I believe an RCA or something along those lines broke.

Anyone know of a great sounding turntable that isnt a punch in the wallet, and that gives preforably a digital output or one that can hook up to a reciever?

Dan
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I think this will be the first time I'll have to ask for an autograph from these guys! This should be great. Ideally the mix will be slightly different for each medium. Or an extra track on the record as apposed to the CD. I'm stoked!
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

since when does LP mean vinyl.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

since when does LP mean vinyl.
1948 8)